BaseMind is a next-generation mind mapping tool! It will completely change the way you take notes, create presentations and organize data.
Go get it on the App Store!
Update: version 1.1 is now available!
- Maps of infinite depth
- Any connections between nodes allowed – one to one, one to many, many to one
- Automatic map layout system with 2D physics for extra coolness
- Quick mind map creation using only the keyboard
- Image drag and drop into existing map nodes or to create new ones
- Connecting nodes between several maps and dynamically combining maps
- Save / Import for sharing with other BaseMind users
Here’s some usage tips for effective mind mapping with BaseMind!
- You can “link” nodes between mind maps by ending their name with an exclamation mark (!). Once a link is made, you can select related maps from the list and click “Add to view” to combine the two. Linkable nodes will be shown with a slightly blue background.
- You can reparent nodes by holding down option (alt) key and dragging from a node to its new parent.
- You can change the center node live by right-clicking on a node and choosing “Make Center”. This way you can have the node graph laid out in a way more friendly towards expanding that specific branch.
Generic mind mapping tips that work well with BaseMind:
- If taking notes, start typing away rather than trying to figure out what the central topic is right away. You can always go back and change the center node. And you can reparent nodes if connections need to be rearranged.
- Be as brief and atomic as possible with naming the nodes. In a mind map, a word often speaks more than a sentence. Pictures are nice but use ones that don’t require wondering what it is about.
- If you’re making a presentation, try to prepare content so that you can start from the center, expand outwards, follow one direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) and speak away.
In an effort to be as open as possible, here’s some features that are on the roadmap and will most likely make their way into BaseMind one day:
- Additional controls over the automatic node layout
- Optional iCloud support
- Export view to PDF
- Export to JSON / XML
- Support for additional styling (colors, fonts, text sizes)
- Rich text containers for bringing in more data per node
- Selective linking (choose number of levels to show from link nodes)
- iPad app with handwriting support
For support questions, post a comment below.